Saturday, May 23, 2009

I want to ride my bicycle

I got a new bike from Dick's last night.  It's a fairly simple hybrid w/ seven speeds.  I'd probably need more than 7 gears for the Tour de France, but for riding around the neighborhood, seven seems to be sufficient.  I still need to attach the watter bottle, and the handlebars might need to be an inch higher.

I rode down to the street I grew up on, and it doesn't look much like it did 20 years ago.  The house I grew up in now has a garage on the lot, and the sapling I ran over when originally learning how to ride a bike has been removed from the front yard.  My lack of understanding about breaks didn't kill the young tree, but it grew with about a dozen small trunks instead of a large single trunk.  There was an old man who had about 4 lots when we were kids that grew a fair amount of food on them.  I believe the whole subdivision was his farm at one point.  That's all been sold off and converted into normal sized lots.  Another thing I'm not sure I'd do these days is cross the railroad tracks behind the house to get to a park on the other side.  The whole area is pretty much overgrown with vegetation now.

No comments: