Saturday, July 9, 2011

Rye Bread

Rye Bread without caraway seeds is like Batman without Robin. Well, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight both did just fine without Robin.

Steak without potatoes. (Why does the plural of potato need an "es"?) Actually, steak is pretty tasty on its own. Sure, it's better with a potato, but it's still steak without one.

Barbie and Ken. That's no good. Toy Story III revealed that Ken is narcissistic and treacherous.

The point is, rye bread, even if it's made with 100% whole grain rye, isn't going to taste like rye bread without caraway seeds. Why is this the case? I don't know, but having made a loaf of rye bread without caraway seeds, I know it to be true.

I made a batch with caraway seeds this week, and it turned out to be one of the better breads I've baked. I'm wondering if it was because I was being too inconsistent with my treatment of my bread starter my first time around. I would feed it, then rush it back to the fridge as soon as I had made the dough. This time around I've been leaving the starter out for a full 24 hours to let the microbes really work before making dough.

I've also been trying to be more scientific in how long I give the stand mixer to use the bread hook on the dough. 4 minutes from the time the ingredients start to pull away from the side of the bowl seems to be working well. The texture of the last few loaves I've made had been very good.

At any rate, I even attempted a marbled rye this week. I mixed half the dough with 1/3 rye and the other half with 2/3 rye. The color difference was most noticible when it was first out of the oven, so I think I would save this for special ocasions. However it's nice to know that works.

Bacon without eggs...oh I give up.

No comments: