Monday, July 11, 2011

Five Movies that Have Very Little in Common

The last five movies I've seen, working forward are:

Monsters Inc. - The first time I saw it, I thought it was good, but a little sub-par for Pixar. However, watching it a second time with Blake and Regan I've decided that Pixar has nothing to be ashamed of in this film.

Kung Fu Hustle - If you don't like martial arts movies, you should stay away. However, if you do like martial arts movies you really need to check this out. The escalating weirdness straddles the line between humor and action without ever loosing its balance.

Green Lantern - Somehow they spent $200 million making this. I thought CGI had gotten cheaper. Anyway, a decent superhero flick, but if you've got a HDTV and a surround sound, you can certainly wait for the bluray.

X-Men first class - There's a lot to like here. I think there maybe should have been one fewer mutant on each side of the battle. Also, I looked up some of the characters, and the ones whose powers I thought I had seen before were relatives of those characters from earlier movies. I thought the payoff at the end of the film was the best part of the movie, and since I think the hardest thing to do when telling a story is to end it well, I think that's high praise.

Black Swan - The was without a doubt an interesting and well made film. However, the story is only shown through the eyes of one character, and you can't always trust what you see. The one thing I had heard from everyone I knew who had seen it was that it was disturbing, but it didn't really bother me. I might watch it again to see how things seen now that I know how it goes.

3 comments:

Chip Lynch said...

Have you seen Cars 2 yet? I haven't seen it, but from the reviews I'm worried that it's the first Pixar movie that isn't really quite fantastic. (I think very highly of every other Pixar movie made, including Monsters, Inc.) I'd like to hear the opinion of someone I know before I go out and see it though.

I did not like Black Swan, although at least I finished the movie which is something I can't say of "Due Date", which exceeded my absurd quotient.

:-)

---Chip

Eric said...

I have not seen cards too, but I thought it had gotten good reviews. At first I wasn't thrilled that I was getting a sequel. Maybe I'm just bitter that the sequel wasn't Incredibles 2.

Eric said...

I was looking back at blog posts that had comments on them. Since I have now seen cars 2, I would say it is good, but definitely nothing to get excited about. Much weaker than the 1st cars movie. It's almost like someone mashed a Bond film into a Pixar movie and hoped the result would work.