Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Aborted Ball Game

Last summer I had gone to Chicago to see the Police in concert, and my friends Chip and Angela met me there. We ran around Chicago for a few days, and we had such a good time we went back this summer. We flew into Midway the morning of the July 12th.

We decided to try to get into the Cubs game that afternoon, so we dropped off our stuff in the hotel and took a cab out to Wrigley Field. We had seen tickets online starting at $33, but decided to try to get tickets at the stadium. There was a guy selling tickets for $75, wich was more than I wanted to spend. I'm not a big baseball fan, so I was really just there to eat a hot dog and hang out. We ended up getting standing room only tickets for $15 without really knowing what that got us.

Since we showed up a little late, it was probably the 3rd inning before we got done eating a hot dog and trying to find a place to watch the game. (The hot dog was really good by the way.) We found a cool spot on a ramp, but the problem was the good spots on the rail were already taken. Where we were standing we could only see about 1/3 of the field. We tried to find a better place to stand, but couldn't find any good ones. I suppose all the locals know where the good spots are and rush to them with a SRO ticket. After failing to find a good spot to stand, Chip declared he was done, so we headed out.

We missed a good game. The cubs got up 7-0 before letting San Franscisco tie it up. The cubs ended up winning in 11. I also got hit up with the strangest pan-handling request I've ever heard as we left the stadium. Someone wanted our tickets to get a free hot dog with them. I handed over my ticket and he was happy.

No comments: